Today was Aly's first day of 1st grade. It doesn't seem possible. She looked so grown up heading out the door in her bumblebee dress, with a Care Bear back pack strapped over her arms, her hand holding tightly to the handle of her My Little Pony lunch box. She claimed to be "a little bit shy" but in reality, what she really felt was a bit of apprehension as she is entering a new school this year and was unsure of what to expect. She is attending a charter school and is in a class with both 1st and 2nd graders. I think the first day was harder on me than her. I came home after leaving her in the capable hands of her teachers and tried to get on with my normal weekly tasks. I went into her room to put some toys and clothes away....and found my eyes soon welling up with tears. Before I knew it, the 7 hours were up and it was time to go get her. When I asked her how school was she said "I like all day school mom!" With any luck that sentiment will last her entire school career.